Thursday, October 30, 2008

Have I been losing IQ points? Heroes.

Ok, so everyone, everywhere is always hating on Heroes.  And every time I watch it, I usually like it.  I mean, I am not saying that is a perfect show. Not even close.  It doesn't have the humor or the emotional wallop of it's lead in, Chuck (watch Chuck!  You won't regret it!  Maybe I'll start covering it here now that Mad Men is over...) and plot holes always abound, but something keeps me coming back!  I think there are a few things that keep me hooked into Heroes even as other abandon it.
1. The Cast.  There is so much chemistry in this cast that it often overshadows (for me, obviously)
, a lot of the character flaws and inconsistencies that the show has.  It's not just the hotness, though, check out these Petrelli bros:
You're welcome.  Anyway, my point is the cast (male and female!) does a great job.  I can't say no to any scene with Claire/HRG, Peter and either of his brothers, Peter and Claire, Claire and her Moms,  Elle and anyone (VMARS till death!!)  Nathan/Tracey, Sylar/Angela...I mean come one people, these actors are great together!  They are rising above the material on an episodic basis  and they are totally hot!  How does that not count for anything anymore?  What kind of world are we living in?

2. It's fun.  It's fun!  So what if they wallop us over the head when they should be subtle (How did Peter survive that fall?  Hmm, I don't know maybe SYLAR SAVED HIM?  I am not sure, but I think that's what they were intimating by asking a million times, panning to Sylar and then out and out saying it!)  So what if the character motivations are a little murky.  (Daphne, what in the hell?  Mohinder, are you crazy or not?  Spider guy who cocoons people or meek scientist concerned with ethics?  Mr. Petrelli, you've faked your death so you can give everybody powers...or not.  All this effort is towards what end?)  So what if some people are in the exact same storyline they've been in since season 1 (I'm looking at you Hiro and Ando)!  It's still kind of fun!  I am always entertained, and that is the point of television, right?

It is clear that Heroes kind of thinks I'm stupid, and I'm beginning to worry that the show may be right!  Because whenever I watch it, I pretty much like it.  I understand that it could be done better, but I am certainly not ready to give up the show or anything.  Am I just blinded by the beautiful people, crazy mysteries and complicated back stories?  Maybe.  I mean, I also enjoy watching Soap Operas, so it could be I'm just not the person to ask.  

No comments: