Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Heroes made me laugh, and I liked it.

This episode made me remember how much I love Zachary Quinto! When he started on Heroes, I had only seen him as Tori Spelling's friend Hassan on So NoTORIous, and I could not imagine him as a villain like Sylar or even as a nerdy guy like Gabriel Gray. In this episode, his versatility was really on display, he went from scared and confused, to cop-from-tv to pure evil effortlessly. I think some people have trouble with idea that Sylar could ever be working with any "good guys" or be at all reformed, but it think that, a. that's the point, there are no good guys so anyone could be reformed as they are pretty much all going to end up mass murdering psychos at some point, and some already have, and b. Quinto makes it work. He shows us the potential for a different person inside of Sylar, maybe even different than Gabriel. There are a lot of sides to Sylar, and one of them is hilarious! "That's disgusting Claire!", "You drink decaf, right?" I for one think it really works and adds some creepy levity to a show that definitely needs it. I mean though Hiro is always acting pretty cute and silly, this show does have more than it's share of moments of self-seriousness.
Other things that happened:

-Claire is angry and traumatized! I bet torturing her will definitely make it A LOT better! Good idea bio-mom!

-My sweet Weevil is dead. I knew as soon as Peter left his body he was a goner. Damn you Sylar!

-No Elle either! It was a tough episode for VMars fans.

-Ok, so now Hiro is stuck in boring silent movie. I get what they were trying to do there, be all madcap, but it was still not very entertaining. And it has already been established that Hiro and Ando are not actually morons, so they should really stop writing them as though they are.

-Yay! Present Peter is free from the body of Weevil! But, now he has to go to the future with the ass that is Future Peter instead of staying around and helping any of the present people who could actually use it. Is Milo Ventimigilia against working with any of the main cast! I feel like one of the big weaknesses of Season 2 was separating members of the cast that had great chemistry (Claire and Peter, Nathan and Peter, Peter and anyone besides that Caitlin chick, etc.) So why do they insist on doing it again! Get Peter with his brother(s) and let's get going here!

-Ok, so it has already been established that Mama Petrelli and Papa Nakamura had a thing, so do you think it's possible that Sylar is Peter and Nathan's brother and Hiro's brother! That would be awesome. As a person who loves soap operas, that twist would totally work for me.
-And finally, I have always hated Mohinder's lame voice overs/readings from his father's book, but now what we've established that: 1. Mohinder is completely insane (basically, he's the Fly) and 2. his father's research was completely wrongheaded and inaccurate, I don't really see why we have to hear him droning on like that in the beginning. He's probably peeling or something anyway, he shouldn't really have time to drone now.







-

5 comments:

jennypoo said...

why would they tease us with little bits of weevil and then let sylar eat his brain like that? i'm so so so SO sad...

Anonymous said...

I loooooove the new Sylar, in fact I would go so far as to say it's the best part of the whole show. HRG and Sylar are awesome. That scene at the end where HRG says to the Haitian (Yeah return of the Haitian!) "I'm going to find his weakness and then kill him" was awesome because you know that somehow, somewhere HRG is going to end of owing Sylar and then like you said there is no good guy/bad guy. Let's get rid of Matt he has never done anything exciting and I don't care that he now doesn't get ANOTHER wife and baby now that the future has been changed. Mohinder blows and so do is voice-overs, I agree. Nicky-clone is almost as boring as real Nicky, and it was a cheap shot bringing the son and her coffin into it just to stir up some emotion so we would care about clone's plot line. What happened to Michah's cousins btw? I think Sylar is hysterical (but not when he is murdering Weevil, that was not cool) and I campaign that we get WALLACE a cameo!!! He's been doing Hot-Pocket commercials for God's sake!

Krista said...

I agree! I would love to see Wallace on Heroes! He is also in one of those funny dirty mouth Orbit commercials as of late. He plays a male cheerleader. It is weird.

jennypoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jennypoo said...

maybe it's just carry over from felicity but i really like matt...i'm sorry. i think he's sorta cute. his character is sometimes boring but greg grunberg is a little charming, no? i love sylar too and think he's the best part of the show these days. i just wish he would stop eating people i love. and if we're getting the whole cast of vmars on the show can we get a little logan? i think elle needs a hot epic romance.