Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Heroes. Not so bad this time!


Alright, I was pretty happy with the episode of Heroes, especially considering how awful the last one was. Maybe it is lowered expectations, but let's be real here, things happened, secrets were revealed and we got double weird face making from Matt and Peter trying to control people's minds! It was pretty alright, I thought!

Also, the idea of a Peter Vs. Nathan smackdown is actually a totally great one! The Petrelli's were what really drew me into the show in the first place, and I like them as rivals. I would like to see Peter with a little more in his corner at this point (I mean Matt, really? That's all he's got?) But twisting their weird brotherly love into something sick is a good way to keep both of these characters interesting, and at the forefront of the show, where they should be. And not just because they are hot. Though that doesn't hurt.

I have to say I also thought that the way Matt's prophecy played out was pretty good as well. Again, it kind of turned things from the first season (and our expectations) on their head. Instead of some crazy super power being 'bout to 'splode DC, Matt gets a bomb strapped to him by Creepy Hunter Dude and it is on! Fly that mofo away Nathan! I can't wait to see Nathan expose himself to the world (or at least to Creepy Hunter Guy) as a 'person with abilities'. Mrs. Petrelli was right on the nose when she told him "The game has changed."

So Rebel has to be Micah, right? I mean who else could do what he is doing? I am excited about this because I really liked Micah and was kind of bummed when his story seemingly got dropped. Then at least Peter has a genius kid who can talk to machines on his side! That's something. (Aside...why is Nathan giving his mother ALL of the information about his stupid program? That seems dumb, because she is not very trustworthy. He is clearly a moron though.)

I also really liked the Claire/Sandra saving Alex plot. Sandra Bennett clearly rules, and now Claire knows it! (Lyle is a total dumbass on the other hand. Now we know why Sandra prefers Claire so much!) Also, she still totally LURVES HRG, and will be so proud of him when she finds out that he is actually a mole sent by Angela to stop Creepy Hunter Guy and his Hero-killing government program. (It made me so happy that the News got a hold of those files. IN YOUR FACE Creepy Hunter Guy!) Claire and Alex were pretty cute, and did not make me want to puke the way Claire and Wes did last season. I like that Alex is the epitome of a completely non-dangerous person with abilities. He cannot even accidentally hurt someone by breathing underwater. He's actually more likely to SAVE someone, with his healing kiss of breath. It was refreshing to see Claire working on something instead of brooding about her horrible dads, and it was totally creepy when that horrid puppet man came to her for help! She might have to help people she is repulsed by too! (Maybe Sylar in the future?) Will she do it?

And what of Sylar and his most annoying road trip companion? (You are very welcome for this adorable picture of Zachary Quinto.) Well I enjoyed his "Fleetwood Mac themed memories"(Mike O'Neil) and even though he didn't kill that kid, he slammed him up against the wall real good, so I'll take it. He is saving up all of his killing for his evil dad, who killed his (maybe) non-evil mom telekinetic style! Now we know where he gets it from! Just a chip off of the old block, that Sylar. Also, he was a very cute little kid, and it was apparent from moment one that his new parents (nee aunt and uncle) were not up to the job, since just after buying him, they let him wander outside into the parking lot to witness a murder. This kid's fate was pretty much sealed.

Another thing I liked was the direction of this episode, I thought the wipes and the split screens made it feel very comic book-esque, which is what this show should have been going for all along. Nicely done, Heroes!

Next week:
Aww shizznit! Matt's got a bomb strapped to him and he doesn't know whether Nathan should cut the black wire or the red wire! I have an idea, how about both! (Would that work? I always wonder that in these types of bomb-diffusing scenarios. Like, cut'em both at the same time!)

No comments: