Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Dollhouse scared me! (I think it was trying to.)

I have to say, I felt like this episode was a VAST improvement over the pilot, which is always a good sign. It also scared the bejesus out of me, which it meant to, so that was good too.



The structure of Echo's engagement was pretty much like a horror movie, except for icky part where she sleeps with her would-be murderer beforehand and he tells her he is going to hunt her. That dude was totally creepy. I don't know if the whole hunting women thing was just his fetish or something he was hired to do (by Alpha? That doesn't really make sense, but who knows.) I liked how her engagement tied into the overall arc of the show.




The flashback arc was pretty interesting as well. I was happy to see Amy Acker again, and interested to see that her character was hurt by the Alpha massacre, not during an engagement, which is what I had originally guessed (That she had been an active, and was imprinted with a doctor's personality after she got too messed up.) I also liked the introduction of Echo to her handler, and the way it was called back to in the woods. "Do you trust me?" "With my life." She is obviously retaining things from her original life as well as each of her engagements. I liked how startled he was when she was just like "No, everything is not going to be alright, a crazy man with a crossbow is hunting us!" Right on lady, there is nothing "alright" about that situation.


Overall it was a pretty brutal episode, from the beginning scenes to the crazy fight between Echo and the creepy human hunter dude. Dushku did a good job with her "Jenny" scenes here, but they are definitely playing to her strengths by making her a kick-ass outdoorsy chick.


I'd like to learn a little more about the FBI agent, like why he is so interested in the whole Dollhouse thing, despite the annoying ribbing he constantly gets from his co-workers. I mean now I know he is a lonely man married to his work that won't eat a pretty girl's lasagna (if you know what I mean), but why? Agent Ballard, what makes you tick?


I also am confused about Boyd's reasons for working at the Dollhouse. I was thinking that it was because he must have known Caroline and wanted to help her, but that does not seem to be the case. Maybe he just really needs money or something.


Topher definitely has the potential to be a quippy, Joss Whedony character, but they need to make him a bit more likeable. He just seems like a little jerk to me.


I think Reed Diamond could be a great villain type. I really like him and I hope they elevate his character beyond 'guest star' soon.


So, all in all good episode, that freaked me the hell out, I am definitely intrigued and ready to see this show get better and better!

No comments: