Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Heroes, Ramping You Up For Awesomeness, Again, Some More.

Ok, maybe it's because I was so tired I could hardly open my eyes, but this episode felt a little pointless to me. The only real forward motion in the plot was with Sylar and his ?brother? or whatever that weird kid is and even that was minimal. I mean he met the kid, thinks they might be related, and now he's REALLY going to find his real dad, just like at the end of the last one. Though it did give us a few great Sylar lines, including "I let you live, that's kind of a big deal for me." Yes, I still love Sylar. However, most of the events of this episode just brought us back to where we were at the end of the last episode: pissed at Nathan, ready to fight, giving up normalcy, etc. I mean, yeah Daphne is dead, I think, and that is sad, I guess (which means that NONE of that alternative future Matt/Peter saw is going to pan out), but at least she won't inflict that weird piecey 1990's hairdo on the world any longer.

I like the teaming up of our main people, but why the hell is it only the men? Daphne's dead, Claire is stuck in Normaltown (for now, I am sure she will run away and get caught at least 5 more times in the next episode) Tracy/Niki/Jessica is captive and being tortured and Angela is just chillin' in her bed reading some files. I do think Angela is going to help the Heroes though, because she seemed pretty disenchanted with Nathan at the end there. Though I don't really understand at what point his plan could have seemed like a good idea at all. I don't really understand Nathan's motivations to be honest, they sort of came out of nowhere. One minute he wanted to create an army of super-soldiers and give people powers (were we supposed to forget about that?), and the next he wants to round them up to protect them from themselves or some such shit. I know Heroes generally plays pretty fast and loose with the characterizations, but I really need to know a little more on why Nathan wants to go forward with his terrible terrible plan.

Speaking of "why the hell are you even doing this anyway" type of questions, oh HRG. I am so sick of hearing your lame excuses. Your plans to "protect" Claire almost always suck and fail, so maybe you should think about a different tact here. I mean you didn't kill Peter, twice, which was cool, but other than you are really on the wrong side here bucko. Even against machine guns, I would side with the dudes with crazy super powers in a fight, just generally. Then you add in the fact that they are your daughter's friends and family, maybe you should help them instead of sending them to some kind of crazy prison to be tortured. Just a thought, you crazy morally ambiguous guy!

Ok, things I liked, a lot.

-Lots of action in the first half!

-Teaming up! So let's team up, already. And do stuff.

-Parkman going all anger-man and making those dudes shoot each other! I love when the Heroes use their abilities for something that is actually useful. Though maybe he should have used those drawings of the future to tell Daphne to duck! Does someone actually need to write "Duck!" on those things before he gets it?

-Peter= leader. We know he has the heart, does he have the toughness? Yes.

-Mystery text messager. I am into that. Don't give up and get a part time job Claire! (Why does her mother support that lame plan? Oh. Because she hates Lyle.)

-Sylar is so evilly hot. I know he is a torturing murderer, but he just does it so hotly.

-Speaking of hotness, oh my god Nathan looked good in this ep. He should take off his suit jacket ALL THE TIME. All the time.

-That hunter guy is appropriately creepy. I am sure Nathan will regret unleashing him onto the world very soon.

-Ali Larter really sold me in the scene where Tracy is captured and yelling at Nathan. "You're one of us!" It was intense.

-New power! Microwave boy.

-It made me laugh SO HARD when Peter came out from behind that tree with a gun saying "What is he telling you? That I'm unstable?!" In the most crazy, unstable way ever. I mean I know it was a tense situation, but he seemed like a total lunatic in that moment.


Next week: They are really seriously going to team up now, and do stuff. For real, now. It's actually happening, I swear.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree that this was a somewhat pointless episode--but it was entertaining, especially when Nathan took off his suitcoat!

HRG must die, I am so sick of his one-track excuse--"I am doing everything to protect you Claire" really does not play anymore! Just get rid of him.

Unknown said...

Gotta say, I really enjoyed Heroes this week, and last. I agree though, that they need to have some of these characters act like themselves. I mean, what the hell are HRG and Nathan thinking AT ALL. I could totally buy that Nathan was doing all this for political gain, but there has been no suggestion, as far as I can tell, that he's made some kind of back room deal. I'm also sick of Matt drawing the future, and not figuring it out until its too late. Like when he and Claire are in his apartment looking at the pics and Claire's all like, "what's that in your neck" and he doesn't even duck, he just takes the tranquilizer to the neck. Dumb.

Krista said...

No, we cannot kill HRG! He's one of the best actors on the show, and it is the writers fault his motivations are so muddled and his allegiance is always questionable! They need to figure out how to fix it without just killing the character off. That would be a copout.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anom up there, the 'epic' struggle between Claire and HRG (and now the a similar struggle with Nathan) is old and tired. It was interesting in the beginning when suddenly HRG knew that Claire knew the HRG knew... but now we need to move on. And this brings me to my biggest annoyance with the show. The women don't get to do anything!!! Claire's plans are constantly being thwarted by her smarter one-step-ahead of her (all male) co-stars. The Niki/Jessica/Tracy character has been completely uninteresting to watch since the get-go, and then they kill off Daphne, in a dumb way. She's super fast, faster then bullets, she could out-run them if she needed to and yet she gets it while doing a pretty good job of rescuing everyone from the soliders. This is a surprise to me because J.J. is not known for putting his female characters in the corner. And yet on this show, they are reduced to whiney, helpless, powerless, characters. Remember whats-her-face who had to have her brother around to calm her down from her PMS mood swings other wise she would murder everyone in a five mile radius? Only the calming, level-headed presence of a male could save the town! And then she was so vulnerable (and stupid) she fell for Sylar's (who murdered her brother) slimey wooing, and then Mohinder (who is so bumbling and ridiculous I often yell at the television when he is on-screen) who turned into an insecty, spider thing and wrapped her in a web.
I want the women of the show to band together and kick some ass! Because frankly I can't take anymore Parkman/Mohinder stupid, mess everything up, bore me out of my mind plot-lines! The men on the show are celebrated for their powers (Hiro is a HERO!)Peter is willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good all the time! Nathan saved the world once! While the women need to ashamed! Niki/Jessica needs to be fixed and left her son with random relatives and checked herself in, Claire just needs to pretend like she is normal because all teenage girls really want are to be pretty blond cheerleaders! Maya? was that her name? She caused mass-destruction and killed a church full of people, Elle desperately needed the approval of her crappy dad, even though her power was much more useful than his King Midas touch power, and Parkman was constantly trying to crazily protect Daphne. And don't even get me started on the moms vs. dads on this show!