Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chuck Vs. The Third Dimension!

Even the silliness of a 3-D episode cannot keep Chuck down!  I know I am gushing, but I really love this show, and I feel like it is one of the few shows that is funny and emotionally satisfying every single week.  There was a good deal of awesomeness on display in this episode (though not enough Captain Awesome), such as:

-Dominic Monaghan as Tyler Martin, Rock Star!  Fans of Lost can imagine this is the rock star that Charlie was before he got stuck on that damn (or super great?) island.  ("I feel like a daffodil...")

-Not one, but two Arrested Development shout-outs!  Buster Bluth yelling "No touching!" and an awesome use of "The Final Countdown"  (not as awesome as G.O.B.'s though, it was missing the wind machine.)

-Chuck's adorableness when those girls were taking his pants off.  He is so cute and sweet, he is totally my dream man!  

-Captain Awesome's description of Chuck screaming. ("It was so high, babe!")

-Casey's tranquilizer darts.  There are so many times those would come in handy.  I need to get some.

-Okkervil River's "Lost Coastlines" playing in the scene where Chuck and Sarah discuss Chuck's feelngs about her shooting that Fulcrum agent.   Josh Schwartz always has good music in his shows.  I think it's the law.

-Sarah standing by her shooting of the Fulcrum agent.  (I can understand Chuck being disturbed by seeing the woman he loves kill an unarmed man, but she really had no other choice if she wanted to protect Chuck.)

-Yvonne Strahovski is so great as Sarah.  She seems tough and professional while still betraying her feelings for Chuck at just the right moments.  

-Chuck realizing that as much as complains about it, he really loves the excitement of his new life.  And the people in it.  (That includes you, Casey!) Aww.


Things that I still have some issues with, despite the general greatness of this show.

-Buy More hi jinks.  I get that we need to see a contrast to Chuck's insane life, and I like all of the Buy More cast (Where's Anna, by the way?) but sometimes I wish we could spend more time with Awesome and Ellie and less with those nutty Buy More guys.  (Though Jeff eating that urinal cake was truly priceless.)   By the way, I never got the 3-D glasses, and I cannot even imagine the horror of watching Jeff devouring that huge sandwich in 3-D.  Someone owes America an apology for that one.  

-Sarah and Casey getting so annoyed with Chuck and actually telling him that it is his job to be a spy and protect people.  Because, as far as I have seen, it really isn't.  He doesn't get paid, he doesn't get very many benefits from the government (impressing Jill with that restaurant notwithstanding) and he is someone they are supposed to be protecting, not someone with a responsibility to protect others!  Get that man a government paycheck ASAP!

-The fact that this show is till struggling ratings-wise!  Why?!  Someone name me another network show that is this clever and touching and filled with nerdy cuteness and accessibility all at once so I can start recording it!  Oh, wait, there isn't one?  Then maybe people need to get on the Chuck train with me!  This is a fun train!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, this is one of the best shows on network TV right now--totally "clever, touching, and filled with nerdy cuteness" well written and smart too. The music is always a highlight too, as it was this week's with Okkerville River's "Lost Coastlines."