Friday, February 20, 2009

This is not my beautiful wife! Chuck vs. The Suburbs

I thought that even though it was a pretty well worn concept (oooh the suburbs are scary!) that this episode really succeeded. Even the scene using "Once in a Lifetime" got me, even though you couldn't come up with a more cliche song for a cliche situation. The direction was part of it, but as usual, I think the cast just really sold me.

Andy Richter and Jenny McCarthy were fun in their roles as FULCRUM agents living in the Valley, though I feel like McCarthy was a little bit too campy. What can you really expect? I do keep getting the feeling that FULCRUM is getting too close and wonder how long can Chuck's identity really be protected. Also, what are the implications going to be now that Chuck has the Intersect and FULCRUM's intersect thing in his head? How much can his brain really take?

Chuck and Sarah were adorable and sad as usual. One thing I like about their will they/won't they thing is that the show has a really good built in barrier for their relationship. I also really like that Chuck tries hard to be realistic about their chances of being together. He seems to know that no matter how much he wants it, the life he desires with her can never be a reality. It is a pretty interesting part of his character that he is not (yet) willing to change his dream of having a normal life to be with her. It changes the dynamic from the hot chick/nerd who wants her cliche into a pretty mature portrait of relationships and the fact that they cannot just overcome every obstacle because two people love each other. Just watching them playact a marriage and the regular life Chuck craves was heartbreaking! It was interesting to see that Sarah desires this kind of life as well, and maybe that will change something between them. It didn't seem so at the end though, when Chuck told Ellie that he and Sarah would never be anything more than they are, and he was okay with that.


-Loved Buster's (I mean Emmett's) toupee, and his line "Where do you find people you don't have to pay for sex?"

-Ahh Big Mike and Morgan's Mom. Poor Morgan.

-Where is Anna? Why do we talk about her but never see her? If we are going to be in the Buy More, I want more Anna!

-Also no Awesome = Sad Krista. I heart Captain Awesome.

-"I thought you were a Boat Captain!" "Umm Shipping Magnate, but it doesn't matter..."

Next week: Yay Anna! Boo cheating on Morgan. Also, everyone on this show is a spy! That must get so annoying for Chuck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am excited because I actually watched this episode! I never get to watch Chuck! But through the awesome powers of the internet I was able to catch this episode, which I really liked. The Talking Heads got me too, and I was excited because (And Krista I know you were thinking this too) it reminded me of that awesome X-Files episode. This is a great way for the writers to give the people what they want without completely destroying the concept of the show. We get to see the two characters play house, but it's safe, they are going to show us that they really do want to be together (Like when Andy asks Chuck who that hot lady is over there and Chuck says "Oh that's my wife, Sarah" and they catch each other's eye and have this sweet little moment) But they can always have that emotional safety net, it's a win/win.
I want more Emmett! In fact I want a spin-off (and I haven't checked they probably have this on the web site or something) that is all Nerd Herd.
Oh and speaking of The X-Files... Jenny McCarthy's husband was the black oil eye alien guy!! I have been watching too much 'Lost' lately to believe that this is just a coincidence!