Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fringe- Pilot: Blinded by the Pacey?


Apparently, people are feeling a little underwhelmed by the "Fringe" pilot, but I definitely enjoyed it, so what do other people know? Just because someone actually gets paid to write about television does not mean they are smarter than me! Does it?
Coming to this having never watched a J.J. Abrams show (I know! What? Who am I?!), I had zero expectations beyond a desire to look at Joshua Jackson for an hour and a half. So that expectation was met, and he was cute and funny and sweet (which seems unfair to other human males, but whatever) throughout the entire show.




Also, Pacey (I mean Peter, sorry) and his dad are totally awesome together! The Mad Scientist dad is actually insane, which is fun, and his son's reactions to him are great. Also, cute. (I don't like this show for all the wrong reasons, really!)

Besides all of that, there was also genuine suspense, an interesting mystery, and an fairly unexpected twist! Also, it is set in Boston and it looks like at least some it was actually filmed there! I mean what do these people want anyway? However, there were a few things that, in hindsight, I can admit were kind of lame:


-The moment, I mean the very moment that Olivia told John "I'm not very good at this. At least I wasn't. Before you. I wanted to say I love you back.", I was thinking "Oh, okay this guy is dead. No way is he making it to the end of the episode. Of course, I was right on that.


-I didn't love the main lady (Olivia). Especially when people were supposed to be annoying her (Peter/Pacey, her jerky boss, her incredulous FBI friend, etc.) and they were just far more interesting and sympathetic.

-The moment, I mean the very moment the bad guy told Olivia "Someone from your office threatened me!" I knew that it wasn't Incredulous Friend or Jerky Boss and that it was definitely John. Which made me feel better because I thought I had been wrong about him dying when they saved him from the skin eating disease, but I wasn't, because obviously Olivia was going to kill his ass in a horrible car crash.

So, in the end I am interested in seeing how the whole larger mystery (evil overlord corporations with way more technology than the U.S. government!) plays out and I am also interested in keeping Joshua Jackson on my television, so I would definitely urge others to watch. It didn't blow me away, but I liked it. It's kind of X-Files + Numbers + Alias + Lost = pretty damn good actually!


Also, just look... and he's a genius people! A genius!!

No comments: