Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In the words of Jay, OH SNAP! 90210!


Let's all congratulate me for doing a non-list post on Gossip Girl! Hooray me! Don't expect that to happen, possibly ever, for 90210 though. Because if you think that Gossip Girl is a shallow show with almost no thematic or philosophical underpinnings, then you must not have seen 90210 yet! 

Ok, so let's just start with the obvious, things
 that crazily enrage me...


1. DYLAN IS SAM'S FATHER! UGH!  I knew it was coming, and yet, somehow that did not make it easier.  Obviously, Brenda is much more mature than I am, 
because she seemed to perfectly fine with the fact that the love of her life and her "best friend" have a little kid together!  I don't like it at all.  I was actually just watching some classic 90210 today on Soapnet (Chuckie's Back!  Steve decides to go and find his bio-parents, among other things.) and Dylan and Brenda are so damn cute together!  He and Kelly never EVER seemed to like each other at all, a theory which I guess is supported by the fact that he lives as far away from her as humanly possible.  It was totally just sex with them, which is how Sam came about I suppose. Still, I just wanted it to be Brandon.  

That's actually the only thing that crazily enraged me.  

But all was not well in the rest of 90210 either, 

1. Ok, I know I keep mentioning this, but Annie and Naomi have some serious facial (acting?) tics.  I will admit that Naomi only flared her nostrils twice in this episode, but Annie cannot get through a scene without pulling some goofy-ass face!  I think it's supposed to be cute.  It's not.

2. Still don't care about Ty.  He seems like a smug jerk to me.  Also, and more importantly, still don't care about Annie, one of the main characters on the show.  I didn't love this chick on Degrassi either, to be honest.  

3. I can admit it.  Brenda needs a haircut.  

4. Naomi's mom freaks me out.  First of all, something about her face is creepy.  Secondly,  I don't really care about her or her daughter, but I love how she was totally cool with 
her husband just doing some random from Denver, and then was completely, like can't get out of bed depressed when she found out the woman lived in L.A.  It seemed like things would stay pretty much the same for her either way.  Was she really that shocked that her lying, cheating husband, was um, lying a bit to her about his mistress? 

Things that I liked:

1.  There was definitely some O.G. feel to this one!  I believe that Dixon's entire                               
story was lifted from an original episode minus being drunk when he hit someone.  Dixon and Nat were cute. I loved the way Nat stared off into space in that geriatric way of his and remembered the awesomeness that was Brandon Walsh.  Apparently Nat has not hired another West Beverly Grad in about 20 years, which strikes me as odd, as everyone who goes to that school seems to frequent the Peach Pit.  It is possible that he waxes nostalgic about Brandon whenever anyone mentions West Bev. though. He really loved Brandon.  I wonder whatever happened to Nat's 50 year old pregnant wife... 
                                                                                                                                                                   
2. Dixon seems to be successfully channeling the things that they
 always told you made Brandon so great (responsible, only makes mistakes in an honorable way, hard worker, etc.) without all the things that made you want to smack Brandon's face.  (self-righteousness, doucheyness, goody-goodness, weird aggressiveness "YOU TOOK THE JOB?!")  He's a cutie.

3. I like that they are kind of addressing the whole Black kid/white family thing.  I mean at least they're mentioning it.

4. Dixon and Silver are still cute!

5. BRENDA!  She was being a good friend, a good teacher and a good director in this episode!  There was even a "Donna Martin Graduates" shout out.  Attention makers of 90210, keep reminding me of the old show, and I will keep watching.  It's sad, but it's true.

6.  The scene where the kid who Dixon hits with his car asks him to go to the Laker's game with him was so Brandon and Dylan first date/first meeting!  I hope these two find love the way Dylan and Bran did.  That kid had way more charisma than Ty.  Or Ethan for that matter.  And I don't even remember what he looked like.

7. Naomi was kind of cute with Ethan's autistic brother.  (I will not say something offensive here, but I am thinking about my first impressions of Ethan.)  When she is not with him, I will go back to my regularly scheduled not giving a crap about her.  

7.   And of course, the single greatest (sort of) original character on this show, TABITHA!  She got to have layers!  She was funny and crazy and nice and self-aware!  There must be just a pinch of Rob Thomas magic television show dust around the CW, and Jessica Walter just snapped up every last bit.  Sing from your ass people!
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate Kelly, and as I mentioned before, I do not, DO NOT! approve of Sam being Dylan's!!! That's ridiculous and makes me so mad! He should obvs be Brandon's because the only person who Dylan should be impregnating is Brenda. Wouldn't it be awesome if Brenda also has a baby by Dylan? But then that would make her kid and Kelly's kid half-siblings which would be awesome/terrible. And Brenda/Dylan baby would have been given up for adoption and then Brenda decides she needs to know what happens to her baby, and her and Kelly go on a road trip to find the child, and when they find him/her, he is way smarter, cuter, cooler than Sam. Time for me to quit the library and head for Hollywood because this stuff is GOLD!

Sarah said...

Brenda never said that Dylan is the baby-daddy, just that Kelly still has feelings for him. I'm holding out hope that Brandon is the father!!!

Krista said...

Ooh, that's a good point Sarah! Maybe Brandon is the real baby-daddy and Dylan is just her ex. I am going to wish and hope that into reality.