Tuesday, April 7, 2009

So do I feel embarrassed when the 90210 theme comes blasting from my apartment? Not anymore.


Previously on 90210--Silver is CRAZYPANTS. She got a tattoo with Dixon's name on it, is always trying to force him to have sex in weird places, filmed them having sex, broke into Matthews' apartment and accused him of manipulating her life, and set some crap on fire in Dixon's backyard. (At least she set in a grill. That's something.) So. There you go. She is not okay.

Even though this episode was pretty much all about Dixon and Silver, the CW does not have any pictures of either of them from this episode on their website. Weird. I guess I'll just have to give the top spot to a picture of Annie just about to make one of her signature ugly "acting" faces. Cause I love those faces.

This episode was actually pretty good, am I right? I mean I knew it was going to be when I saw that the director was none other than Brandon Walsh himself, Jason Priestly. Awesome. The teaser before the credits was actually directed in a cool way, with all these crazy cuts and people finding out about Silver's descent into crazytown. It was kind of weird because the rest of the episode felt pretty serious, but the teaser was kind of funny and everyone was all awkward. Choice moments for me:

The mysterious liquid prescription pill bottles in Ryan's medicine cabinet.

Ethan begrudgingly offering Annie a ride and acting like he was the best guy ever.

Everything Naomi said. I am heart-ing that girl!

Three choice moments, and that was just the teaser! Now you know why I am no longer
embarrassed to watch this!

I think the whole Silver is Bi-Polar storyline was handled pretty darn well! I liked Dixon's assy reaction because he has been through this, the parents'/Kelly's melt-downs, even the "guy with big glasses who seems creepy but is actually and incredibly nice dude" thing. Jessica Stroup performed ably again this week, really selling Silver's pain and mania. It was good. I mean I wasn't crying over it or anything, but it was good, and it feels like this is actually a pretty natural progression for this character.

One thing I hated was the entire Jackie Taylor interlude. Jackie was never this abysmal of a person on the original 90210, and it just seemed unnecessary for her to be so awful. Maybe they are trying to say that Jackie is bi-polar as well or something, but it seemed like they were trying to blame Silver's problems on her awfulness, which, if she is bi-polar isn't really true because that is chemical.

There were some other things that were pretty great too, including:

-Ryan Matthews, 23-year old teacher who looks way older than 23, you totally melted my heart tonight. If I were Kelly, I would have jumped you. Also, you were funny more than once, most notably when trying to figure out what "the source" meant. "Hip-Hop awards?" Nice. That is my kind of funny. Awkward jokes during incredibly serious times. Call me!

-Ethan's FABULOUS WTF face when Annie was freaking out about how if they break up it means she is a jerk who gave up her self-respect. (Annie had self-respect at some point?) I honestly don't think he could have cared less. Why does he have to become cool now that he is leaving!?

-Adrianna and Navid! OMG they are so cute. They warm my cold cold heart and make me believe that pregnant teenagers and their boyfriends who are not even the dad of the kid can make a happy and stable family that will rule forever. They were adorable with Sam (that kid is an awful fake crier! But a cutie.) There is just some about those two. I love them.



-Naomi forgiving Annie. Even though I hate her, I am glad that Naomi is going to be friends with Annie, because that will integrate her into all the of storylines more, and now I love her. It took me a little while, but now I realize, Naomi is awesome.

-The fact that you could totally tell that while Dixon was explaining his whole bi-polar birth mom/bi-polar girlfriend thing to her, Annie just wanted to talk about her break-up with Ethan. She held it in though, which is pretty incredible for someone at her level of self-absorption.

So all in all, that's pretty much two good episodes in a row! (The mom is still annoying me.)

Next week: Donna Martin returns! Should be craptastic!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this episode was great, too. A little bit afterschool special, a little bit 90210.

Anonymous said...

I anticipate the return of Donna Martin! Also, I hope David Silver will one day return. I think it's ironic that his sister (Silver) and his mother (from old school 90210) are both bi-polar, even though David's mom is not Silver's mom. Poor David Silver and his crazy family!